Wednesday, July 3, 2013

The transforming nature of mentoring


After college like many athletes I stopped working out with the consistency I did during my basketball playing years. Eating too much, working a desk job and neglecting my body became the norm. I managed to put on 100 pounds and got up to 310 pounds at one point last year. 

As many of you know I mentor at risk inner city youth. One of my young men is grossly overweight and participates in limited physical activity. He is only 11 years old and wears a 50S jacket. I wanted to share with him the importance of working out and staying in shape but who was I to speak into his life dealing with my own lack of discipline and activity? 

God began to convict me as I worked on my annual plan for growth and development. The plan focuses on 4 different phases, one of them being the physical body. As I looked through my goals from the previous year I realized how lethargic I had become in setting goals that were not very challenging. 

When I thought about my mentee and my own lack of discipline toward remaining physically healthy I started developing a deep motivation to challenge myself in this area. It started so simple, skipping those cinnamon crunch bagels every morning from Panera, eating smaller portions and drinking water instead of soda. 

Before long I developed a passion to walk and start jogging again. I was losing weight at a furious clip and became convinced that indeed I could lose 90 pounds this year. My students picture became my motivation. 

A few weeks ago I was challenged again by one of the mentors in our program. He wanted to compete in a triathlon to raise money for the Aspire Movement. Then he put me on the spot and asked me if I would participate as well. Realizing that God had been readying me for this challenge all year I embraced it and began working even harder than ever. In September, Lord willing, I will compete in my first ever triathlon to raise money for our program. 

As I sit and think about these students and the challenges they face on a regular basis I realize that disciplining my body is not so bad. I realize that in order to be a godly role model I must show forth the discipline of Christ in all areas of my life not simply spiritually. After all my spirit resides in this mortal flesh that if not taken care of can break down and fail to function. 

It is through mentoring that I am learning that teaching is best through imitation. My student now comes to the pool with me and is learning to swim. He too is starting small. God is teaching us both simply through our ever growing relationship where we care about each others entire being. 

I want him to be a godly man and husband one day. I want him to value education and his health. My desire is to see him become a leader of men and follower of Christ in every facet of his being. And through the relationship I am learning the importance of being these things myself. 

Won't you consider donating to our ministry as we seek to recruit more mentors? Won't you give into a ministry that is not only changing urban youth but people like me as well? 

*Update* - Today I embark on a 101 mile bike ride. Now you know why I ride. It's not just for me but for change. We have been featured in Birmingham magazine so go check out that link as well! Birmingham Magazine Article

Clink the link to participate in our fund raiser so more children will have mentors and inspirational experiences they wouldn't otherwise have. 


No comments:

Post a Comment