Monday, July 15, 2013

Khari & Joseph



Over the next few months I will chronicle stories from mentors regarding their involvement in the Aspire Movement. Most of these blogs are written by the mentors and will serve as a way for you to see inside our program and explore how these mutual relationships provide inspiration and hope. 

Joseph is one of our pioneering mentors who has now been matched with Khari for 2 years. They have contributed to each others growth and development and Joseph has earned the right to speak into Khari's life. Joseph is also quick to note that Khari speaks into his life and is never short for words of admonition and encouragement as well. 

In Joseph's own words...

"Six months after taking Khari to his first Auburn football game I found myself heading back down 280 from Birmingham on a different excursion. Not to a football game, but for a few other first time experiences. A few I had anticipated and some I didn't. 

I picked Khari up at his house in West Birmingham to take him fishing for the first time. He was extremely excited because we had been talking about going for some time. Not being a great fisherman myself, I knew just enough to point him in the general direction. Thankfully the place where we fished was a fully stocked pond and large mouth bass came easily.

We also had our first golf cart driving experience at the pond, which proved to be more difficult than catching fish. After a miscommunication, poor driving instructions from me, and a "panic break", (as Khari calls it when you slam the gas and you intend to slam the brakes) we became one with the pond finding ourselves chest high in the drink while finding the golf cart fully submersed. This was definitely not a first experience I had planned for.

Thankfully we were able to retrieve the golf cart and restore it to its original working condition. We also restored our nerves eventually as well and were able to calm down a bit. 


Accidents happen, especially when you try new things. We were able to discuss that trying new things and failing is a part of life. Without trying new things there are no new experiences. 

No growth is possible. 

Through the Aspire Movement I've been able to experience many new and sometimes uncomfortable things. I think I am beginning to scratch the surface in understanding that these are a part of our journey and we are blessed by trying new things. Praise God for new experiences".~Joseph 


No comments:

Post a Comment