Monday, July 22, 2013

Lizzy & Emily




My husband and I live in Fairfield, the city where ASPIRE is focusing its attention. We moved here in order to bring Christ to an urban community. My husband lived here for a couple years before we got married and was already leading a Bible study with some high school guys, but I was looking for a way I could reach out to some girls. Then I heard about ASPIRE. The model fit in perfectly with my work schedule, so I signed up right away. 

I have only been involved with ASPIRE for a few months, but I’ve had the privilege of getting to know Lizzy. She’s just finished the fourth grade and is very smart and loves gymnastics. She and some friends have a band, though none of them knows how to play an instrument. And she is a middle child, like I am. It has been great remembering what it’s like to be a kid, and learning how to get on her level. 

Most of my involvement in Lizzy’s life so far has consisted of meeting her for lunch at school about every other week. During Spring Break, I invited Lizzy and her best friend, Kennedy, and Kennedy’s mentor, to come over to my house to bake cookies. Afterwards, we sat on the front porch talking and shared some cookies with the neighbors as they came home from work. 

As a result of meeting Lizzy for lunch regularly, I’ve also come to be recognized by other students who live in the area. On multiple occasions when my husband and I have been out for a walk, a classmate of Lizzy’s has recognized me. Now when they see me in the lunchroom, they too will come talk to me. 

I look forward to seeing her perform some gymnastics this summer and getting to know her even better when school starts up again. 

No comments:

Post a Comment