Monday, July 29, 2013

Anthony & Jarei



Blog from Anthony about his role as a mentor in the Aspire Movement. Anthony is married, a father of two boys, and he owns and operates his own business. 

"After doing various service projects I heard that there was a mentoring program that partners adult Christians with 4th graders from the Fairfield community to assist in raising a historical low graduation rate and walking alongside them in an intentional way. I love working with children and figured this would be great for me...until I found out that this would be a nine year commitment!  I have boys of my own ranging from ages 27 down to 15 years old, and I have been looking forward to the empty nest in three years.  

But I prayed and God answered, so I went about seeking out someone whom had more knowledge and information about the program which led me to Pastor Jason and the rest is history as they say.

Jarei was a 4th grader at C. J. Donald Elementary School when I met him.  I started off just meeting with him during his lunch period in school where I would join him and just converse to break the ice and get to know a little about him.
  
He’s a blast! 

It’s so amazing how he lights up at my arrivals for visits, that alone blesses me. I met his mother a few weeks after meeting Jarei.  She is very happy to have a mentor for Jarei because his biological father is not in the picture.


Our first meeting outside the school environment was a Young Business Leaders dinner.  Since then we’ve been to the Indy races, the mall, and the Stacy Williams Company venders’ showcase, and soon we’ll start biking, swimming and doing some work together where will learn a great deal from each other.  I haven’t had to help with any homework thank God, Jarei is an “A” student, and I don’t want to ruin that.  

It is a blessing that God has allowed me to see, the difference I can make in one life. I am realizing it is not the spectacular and grandiose moments together but rather the consistent, faithful showing up that makes a difference. 

Anybody can mentor! It takes a little bit of time but once you get over the initial shock of committing to 9 years and actually meet the child, you desire to be with them for the long haul and watch them develop into the leaders of tomorrow". 

No comments:

Post a Comment