Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Giving Thanks in the Midst of Adversity

With Thanksgivingaround the corner many families will gather to share food, fellowship and fun. It is a time where we as Christians give thanks for all the Lord has done in our lives. But is it possible to give thanks when we have just gone through a great tragedy? What if we are so discouraged by current events that have little to offer but brokenness? Can we be expected to give thanks?

The Bible is not silent on this issue. Throughout the Psalms we see grief-stricken men pour out their confusion to God in the midst of adversity. David proclaimed "My God, My God, why have you foresaken me...O my God, I cry by day, but you do not answer, and by night, but I find no rest." He later laments "Why are you cast down, O my soul, and why are you in turmoil within me?" But with the exception of Psalm 88 the Psalmist always comes back to this great truth..."Hope in God; for I shall again praise him,
my salvation and my God. My soul is cast down within me; therefore I remember you."

The answer is yes we can rejoice and give thanks, not about our circumstances but because of our God. While there are mamy Psalms that begin with lament most all end in praise. After the Psalmist has poured out his heart to God, he gives thanks and remains comforted that he is assured of God's ultimate justice, mercy and steadfast love. Giving thanks is a sign of maturity and a life that is so totally satisfied in the ultimate goodness of God that it oozes with gratitude. Listen to Psalm 103...


As a father shows compassion to his children,
so the LORD shows compassion to those who fear him.
For he knows our frame;
he remembers that we are dust.

God knows our human frailty and seeks to give us great comfort and peace in the midst of adversity. While evil persists we take confidence that God is wise and good and his ways are certainly higher than ours. His plans although sometimes confusing to mere mortals have benefit that we cannot fathom while in the midst of pain. Nonetheless through the pain and anguish life brings us we can rejoice and give thanks for God ultimately will wipe away every tear and pain that hurts so bad. We give thanks because He alone is our provision and satisfaction. We give thanks because He has redeemed us and will sustain us through all life's difficulties.

JW

No comments:

Post a Comment