Sunday, January 15, 2012

Social Capital

One of the reasons I believe mentoring an inner city child is so important is because they lack social capital. As a young man growing up I had two parents who took me to camps, gave me opportunities and pushed me to succeed. I also had coaches and mentors who modeled what it meant to love their wives, discipline their children and show up for work everyday.

Most inner city youth lack positive role models. They instead seek out popular rappers, drug dealers, and entertainers who promote a narcissistic, self-indulgent lifestyle. When they want to find jobs or get help inquiring about college they have few men and women in their corner who can provide the networking and resources they need.

This is why I feel mentoring is so necessary. By involving yourself in the lives of others and using your resources you can open up doors for a child that may otherwise be shut. Imagine if you never had parents that pushed you, had relationships with networks, or graduated from college or worked good jobs. I doubt we would be where we are because we would be the exception not the rule. Serve in the role of a mentor. It will bring you great satisfaction as God uses you to expand a young persons vision for their lives.

1 comment: